Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Chrome Goes On! Temporarily!

The Nautilus came back to the garage for about three weeks and while there, received its bumpers, fore and aft.  It was a JOB to get them on there correctly.  First, my bumpers are all original, but from so many different sets that it's impossible to determine provenance. The blades and over riders went together well, but the bumper brackets were so bent and/or incorrectly shaped that the bumper blades appeared to be sagging once installed on the car.  I tried moving the brackets from side to side, but in the end the only remediation for a saggy bumper is to remove the brackets from the blades, fit them in a vice, and start bending! 

All pictures were taken somewhere during the installation process and the end results were nearly perfect.  Getting some chrome onto the Nautilus was really satisfying, too.

I was surprised at the amount of hardware necessary to put a set of bumpers together.  The bumper blade end bolts and rubber spacers were from a pair of Type 14 front bumper end bolt kits, with 5mm of rubber cut from the ends of each spacer.  Worked perfectly to give the correct spacing between the bodywork and the bumper itself.  Since I had two complete sets of re-chromed bumpers parts to chose
from, I naturally cherry-picked the best of it for actual use.  I also had a spare front left corner section that I decided to use because the chrome was really, really nice.

If you look at these pictures closely, you'll notice that the paint finish on the body itself is a wreck.  It's dirty.  There's over-spray.  It's all the 'new problems' I've discussed before.  And...it's the reason the craft is now back at 'A Good Shop' for some more body and paint work.  So, the bumpers had to come off the car, as did the sliding steel sunroof panel, slide rails, cables and gearing.  I am happy to say that I did not add any damage to the craft with any of this work.

As the Nautilus left the garage, I spoke with yet another tow truck driver who really appreciated the work being done.  I know there's potential here--and need to keep my cool.  But, I'm once again questioning how much I'm really doing to get done on it this Summer and Fall.  Time to reassess and set some new goals.

No comments: